Monday, August 2, 2010

BEE Mine: Thirteen Years Ago

Thirteen years ago, I awoke to a beautiful summer morning in Western Colorado, knowing the special day ahead would mark the beginning of a new life with my beloved Ryan.

Thirteen years ago, I joined my family and friends for breakfast at the hotel where Ryan and I met each other two and a half years earlier. (We both worked at the front desk of the hotel. But how we met . . . Well, that's a story for another time. :-)

Thirteen years ago, I was a giddy bride, getting all dolled up for the big event.

Thirteen years ago, a friend who I thought was not able to make it to the wedding surprised me by showing up at the church just hours before the ceremony. (She planned the surprise with Ryan months before the wedding. What a wonderful moment that was for me!)

Thirteen years ago, I stood in the lobby of the church with my dad, waiting for the signal to begin our procession down the aisle. Tears filled my eyes when the music began and my dad linked his arm with mine just before we entered the church's sanctuary.

Thirteen years ago, my dad gave me away to Ryan in front of our family and friends, a sweet moment I will cherish always.

Thirteen years ago, I stood next to Ryan at the front of that small church and vowed to love him for my lifetime.

Thirteen years ago, Ryan and I exchanged wedding rings and shared "the kiss," both symbols of the lifelong commitment we made to each other.

Thirteen years ago, my wedding gown swayed back and forth as Ryan and I hurried down the aisle toward the church's lobby, clutching each other's hand and laughing and smiling along the way.

Thirteen years ago, my brother chauffered us to the reception hall in a red convertible. My brother played the role well in his ultra-cool sunglasses and tuxedo.

Thirteen years ago, we danced and laughed and celebrated the glorious event with our friends and family.

Thirteen years ago, I married the man I love deeply and cherish as a friend, so much then and even more now.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet anniversary tribute to your husband. I'll bet he loved reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete