Wednesday, September 23, 2009

BEEsy in the Kitchen: Soup Celebration


I love soup!

I love the savory aromas from a pot of soup simmering in my kitchen.

I love the creativity involved in making a batch of soup. Add a little of this and pinch of that, and oh, what about trying something new!

I love the warmth I feel inside as I sip on a spoonful of steaming soup on a chilly day.

I love the assortment of foods available to accessorize soup: a baguette of french bread, a handful of crackers, a dollop of sour cream, or a wedge of homemade cornbread with honey.

I even love the dishes designed just for soup.

After three days of cold, cloudy, and rainy weather, I am craving a good bowl of soup. One of my favorite soups is White Chicken Chili. It's a simple recipe. I usually have the ingredients on hand so I can make it whenever I crave it. Enjoy! :-)

Juliet's White Chicken Chili

2 1/2 TBSP olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in small pieces
1 (7-8 oz) can chopped green chiles
1 jalapeno, roasted, seeded, & chopped (optional, spicy!)
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp cumin
1 TBSP flour
3 (14 oz.) cans chicken broth
Green Pepper Tabasco Sauce (several drops, to taste)
2 (15 oz) cans great northern white beans (drained)

Suggested toppings: shredded Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream, chopped onion, and/or tortilla chips

Instructions:

(1) Heat 2 TBSP olive oil in large stockpot over medium high heat until hot. Add onions, garlic, and chicken. Cook until chicken is done.

(2) Add 1/2 TBPS olive oil, green chiles, jalapeno, thyme, cumin, and flour. Cook for about 1 minute until mixture is thick. Add chicken broth, Tabasco sauce, and beans.

(3) Bring to a boil then simmer on low heat for at least 30 minutes.

(4) Serve with suggested toppings and tortillas or cornbread.

No comments:

Post a Comment